Sunday, October 11, 2009

Broccoli Salad




This is one of our family's favourites that I'm asked to make whenever there is a party or get-together. A little bit sweet, a little bit crunchy and you eat it feeling you're healthy because who hasn't been told to "eat your broccoli- it's good for you!"?

If your tummy doesn't do well with eating raw broccoli, you can cook the broccoli first. To do this, fill a pot with some water. Add a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. If you want bright your broccoli green and crunchy cook it for 1 minute. Add an extra minute cooking time if you'd rather have it more cooked. DO NOT cook your broccoli for more than 2 minutes as it will make it mushy and yucky for making broccoli salad.

I apologize in advance, because I'm a cook who doesn't typically follow measurements. I use what I have and rely on my eye and my taste to guage how much. Here's what you need:

2 large bunches of broccoli
10-12 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
1/2 minced red onion
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese - cubed into tiny pieces

Dressing
3/4 cup Hellman's mayo
4 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Stir together - broccoli, onion, bacon, seeds, cheese & raisins.
Mix dressing separately
Add together
Refrigerate for up to 2+ hours

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Yummy! I am going to make this tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Oh yummy! That sounds wonderful.

Btw, you asked about the recipe on my blog, go ahead and use it. It really was delish!

Anonymous said...

Oh that does sound good!