Thursday, October 8, 2009

Crockpot Shepard's Pie

Wanna see what's on for dinner tonight? Jake's favourite is Shepard's Pie. I happened to have some leftover garlic mashed potatoes, but didn't want to heat up my oven. So I think I came up with a decent Crockpot version.

Crockpot Shepard's Pie

 


1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup mushrooms - sliced
1 small onion - chopped
3 cloves garlic
onion powder, salt & pepper, paprika
leftover mashed potatoes
1 cup water
2 cups frozen vegetables (I just went for easy peas and corn)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar and Monterey Jack)

2 tbsp Dark gravy mix - I used Bisto


In a saucepan, cook the beef with onions, garlic & mushrooms.
Add onion powder, salt & pepper.

Drain the grease.

Spray bottom and edges of crockpot with nonstick spray.
Add the beef mixture.
Add water.
Stir in gravy mix.
Add frozen vegetables.
Layer shredded cheese on top.
Pat down mashed potatoes to cover it all, make effort to seal edges and gaps.

Sprinkle paprika on top.
Cover.


High 3 hours. OR on Low 5-6 hours.
Remove lid 30 minutes prior to serving to cook off excess liquid and to crust up the potato a bit.
Voila!


** if you omit the cheese and/or replace the gravy mix with GFCF versions, this could become a Gluten/Casein-Free meal as well**

No comments: